Nintendo

All things related to Games and Gaming
moonisha

Nintendo

Post by moonisha » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:28 am

What Nintendo DS games would you recommend for a 5 year old who is just learning to read? My daughter is turning 5 this Thursday, and we decided to get her a Nintendo DS as a gift. She played with one that belongs to her cousin and loved it. She is just learning to read, so some of the games that are rated E are still over her head. Any suggestions about games that would be age appropriate for her?

Jarod
Site Admin

Re: Nintendo

Post by Jarod » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Hello, welcome to the forums!

Theres plenty of great ds games your daughter would love, I found a list on amazon here that offers some good suggestions:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-DS-Games-fo ... TOA91JAT99

You know your daughter better than anyone, so you have an idea of what she would like, Some of the titles like nintendogs are very cute and fun for younger children, while games like Kirby, Mario, and Sonic are more driven at older kids, but they arent terribly hard to catch on to because there is usually minimal reading required, kids usually pick up on jumping and running through levels pretty quick.
Heres a classic Sonic pack that has 4 games in 1 and reading is only really required for the menus.

Also, Mario Kart (3DS) Mario Kart (Standard DS and DSI) don't have much in the way of reading, but will entertain for years and years, I still play Mario kart on my wii.

Hope this helped you out, let me know if you'd like more suggestions.
And you can definetly find better deals on these games if you shop around a bit, places like gamestop may have used ds games quite reasonable, as does amazon.