Roomba

Anything else around the house.
foxmiles

Roomba

Post by foxmiles » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Not quite sure where this topic fits, so I'm putting it here.
Today I went to an estate sale, I try to avoid them as they tempt me with stuff I really don't need. This one was no different. Everything was 30% off today (that makes it worse). I managed to restrain myself on a small laser printer and several model airplanes. I almost escaped with just a very useful wrench, but...
roomba.jpg
Roomba
I've looked at these before and decided I didn't need one, but that was at over $300. So now I own a roomba. It drove all over my house when I got home but unfortunately my fun was cut short after 1/2-3/4hr by a dead battery. Guess they're not dilithium nor ZPM based (this one has a 1800mah Ni-Cad actually, 3300mah NiMH are <$30). Now it's charging. I thought of making it say "EXTERMINATE!" while running, but that would get annoying after a while.
Digging with a spoon will accomplish more than leaning on a shovel.

Jarod
Site Admin

Re: Roomba

Post by Jarod » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Wow. that's quite the find for an estate sale. usually the ones we have down here are things like 400 year old dishes covered in cigarette smoke residue and moldy books. rarely you'll find something useful like a shovel, 600 year old Tandy dot matrix printer.

Its a very lucky find!
I'm gonna have to see this thing. does it actually have a vacuum motor or how does it vacuum?

I should build one out of an arduino, an old weedwacker motor and a toaster. :lol:

I wonder how difficult it would be to build something like that. it wouldn't cope well with our stairs though.

foxmiles

Post by foxmiles » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:11 am

Yea, it's got a tiny vacuum motor, sweeper brush, and a little edge brush to get into the corners a bit.. I just gave it a workout, haven't vacuumed the house in a while, long overdue. Did a good job, not as good as an Electrolux, but definitely more fun to watch. It took 3 charges, I didn't actually time it, it seemed like it ran for quite a while. I may need a new battery eventually.

It actually should cope with steps well, it has some sort of "cliff sensor", so it won't fall down them. Unfortunately it doesn't have a "live electric wire sensor" and runs over all my cords. I blocked them with a box, guess I have to tidy that area up now. It doesn't do well with light rugs either, tried to eat one of mine, the heavier / stiffer ones work fine though.

I tore it all apart and blew the dust out, it was pretty dirty around the motors and stuff.
roomba2.jpg
Roomba Underside
Steve
Digging with a spoon will accomplish more than leaning on a shovel.

Jarod
Site Admin

Post by Jarod » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:03 pm

foxmiles wrote: It doesn't do well with light rugs either, tried to eat one of mine, the heavier / stiffer ones work fine though.
Steve

Its probably just hungry. have you tried feeding the little fella?

Thats really cool, we should get one and turn it loose in our house, although we have pretty furry rugs and carpet.

If it saves vacuuming as much, even if it cuts down from having to vaccum once a month to every other month or something its a pretty good timesaver.