DD-WRT: Extending Wifi Range as a Repeater

Watch and Discuss the latest show here
Post Reply
Jarod
Site Admin
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:34 am
Contact:

DD-WRT: Extending Wifi Range as a Repeater

Post by Jarod » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:22 pm




Our amazon store has everything you need to do this project: http://astore.amazon.com/trythisathome-20

Today we set DD-WRT up as a repeater, which can be used to extend your wifi range, or borrow wifi from your neighbors.

foxmiles
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: DD-WRT: Extending Wifi Range as a Repeater

Post by foxmiles » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 pm

I have done this successfully several times, a few things I've learned:
1. Some of this must vary based on the router / build you are using. My atheros router has client mode but no repeater mode (repeater might be called client-bridge?). Which may be better for certain grey areas. The client becomes the WAN, so you have a firewall between your network and the other network, it would only show as one device (the router's WAN port) and your printer, samba shares, etc won't (i don't know if repeater mode does that?). It also lets you set wpa2 security on the virtual interface (but it must be on the same channel).
I had a broadcom based one (I think, whatever is in a f7d7301) and it wouldn't do client mode and a virtual ap with wpa2.

2. Boosting the TX power way up may not help range (I know you didn't say to, but you'd think if 20 was good 40 would be better right? MORE POWER!). At some point it seems to start interference with itself (or the weak signal from the other router). A directional antenna like the biquad can make a huge difference, and mounting it to a (carefully aligned) small satellite dish an even bigger difference. I once set up a connection between my parents and sisters houses with a biquad and a rca dish (on one end only). Over 900ft, worked pretty good once I got it all lined up.

3. I've only got 1 dd-wrt router at the moment, but sometime I want to experiment with WDS. if you have multiple dd-wrt routers you want connected that is probably the way to go. Especially if you can use 5ghz for wds and 2.4ghz for ap / clients. I don't know if that's possible. Running a cat6 wire between routers would be better yet.
Digging with a spoon will accomplish more than leaning on a shovel.

Jarod
Site Admin
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:34 am
Contact:

Re: DD-WRT: Extending Wifi Range as a Repeater

Post by Jarod » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:20 pm

foxmiles wrote:1. Some of this must vary based on the router / build you are using. My atheros router has client mode but no repeater mode (repeater might be called client-bridge?). Which may be better for certain grey areas. The client becomes the WAN, so you have a firewall between your network and the other network, it would only show as one device (the router's WAN port) and your printer, samba shares, etc won't (i don't know if repeater mode does that?). It also lets you set wpa2 security on the virtual interface (but it must be on the same channel).
I had a broadcom based one (I think, whatever is in a f7d7301) and it wouldn't do client mode and a virtual ap with wpa2.
this is true. Broadcom routers like the belkin 7301 and 7302 have client bridge mode also. perhaps this would be a more secure way to "borrow" wifi ;)

foxmiles wrote: 2. Boosting the TX power way up may not help range (I know you didn't say to, but you'd think if 20 was good 40 would be better right? MORE POWER!). At some point it seems to start interference with itself (or the weak signal from the other router). A directional antenna like the biquad can make a huge difference, and mounting it to a (carefully aligned) small satellite dish an even bigger difference. I once set up a connection between my parents and sisters houses with a biquad and a rca dish (on one end only). Over 900ft, worked pretty good once I got it all lined up.
I remember trying this with the wrt54gl when i lived in rochester. i think 60 or 70 watts was default. even at 100w there was no noticable difference in range. antennas however have a very large effect.
foxmiles wrote: 3. I've only got 1 dd-wrt router at the moment, but sometime I want to experiment with WDS. if you have multiple dd-wrt routers you want connected that is probably the way to go. Especially if you can use 5ghz for wds and 2.4ghz for ap / clients. I don't know if that's possible. Running a cat6 wire between routers would be better yet.
I'd like to pick up a couple of the cheap belkin shares ($22 on amazon at times) the one usb is kinda uncool when the sharemax was $25, but its the same internal hardware from what i can tell, same cpu, and all that, just missing a usb port, so grab your favorite usb hub and go to town.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest