GMC Trucks and Electric poles

Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, etc.
foxmiles

GMC Trucks and Electric poles

Post by foxmiles » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:24 am

A little off-topic, but here goes:
The whole write up is over at my blog, but I'll do a quick synopsis here too.
About 2 weeks ago (I think, dates/time have never been my thing) I was driving home and noticed a electric pole had fallen over. I called it in when I got home as the pole was dragging the wires quite low. The next day I went and had a better look. There were actually 2 poles sheared off, with one standing in the middle. I later heard that a GMC truck, belonging to someone around here had hit them, then drove home. Apparently it was unregistered and uninsured, I assume he was also extremely drunk, or high, as I can see hitting one, but certainly even a fairly inebriated man would avoid hitting two poles on one drive. That said, those GMC's must be tougher than I'd have given them credit for.
Digging with a spoon will accomplish more than leaning on a shovel.

Jarod
Site Admin

Re: GMC Trucks and Electric poles

Post by Jarod » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 am

Wow. thats crazy.

I have to say, Never been too terribly impressed with General Motors engineering habits but perhaps I was wrong about them all along.
If a truck can withstand hitting 2 poles hard enough to shear them off then it might be close to the top gear hilux diesel... on second thought, i doubt that highly. but perhaps its better that I'd previously thought :lol:

foxmiles

Post by foxmiles » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:38 am

It apparently made it home, but I doubt it went far after that. I don't know who's truck it was, but those poles are bigger that you'd think. We put one up once, took a truck, excavator, and bulldozer. Perhaps these were partially rotten at the base or something, who knows.

Jarod
Site Admin

Post by Jarod » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Yea, that would seem like an awful amount of force, they are at least 1 foot thick at the base, that would trash about any vehicle I can think of. If he hit them head on I'd imagine the radiator was smashed to pieces, if he slid into them that's more explainable how he could drive home.

foxmiles

Post by foxmiles » Sat May 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Maybe he wrapped a chain and pulled them down (doesn't explain the plastic light parts), who knows, I suspect a lot of people are mad at them (REA) at the moment (myself included). They raised the basic rate (a flat fee each month just to have service) from $13 to 28, and are saying they want it at $43. plus $0.10/kw. My bill went from about $35/mo to $55/mo. That hurts, and to justify the increase they compared it to cable tv! The price is the only comparable factor! Tv doesn't keep my food cold, nor does it pump my water, heat it, or cook my dinner. Without tv I would be exactly where I am now, without tv. Without electric I would be back in the 1800's-1900's, oil lamps, hand pump well, wood cook stove. That said, perhaps electric actually should cost more than tv, it is much more useful...

Jarod
Site Admin

Post by Jarod » Mon May 07, 2012 9:09 pm

foxmiles wrote:$13 to 28, and are saying they want it at $43. plus $0.10/kw. My bill went from about $35/mo to $55/mo..

Ouch. that's a pretty steep increase. I get cable internet for 45 bucks a month (which is absurdly expensive in my opinion) and their basic cable tv would cost me nothing at all extra... how they do that I'm not sure, I don't have the cable tv, mainly because I waste enough time with the internet, I don't need more distractions lol

Our electric bill is usually around like 100 bucks I think, I'm not sure, It was less before we had another person staying with us. Our gas bill is really cheap... like 15 bucks for all the cooking, keeping the water at like 120 degrees and stuff like that. makes me want to convert a lawn mower into a generator and run it off natural gas lol.

Hopefully getting the new washer/dryer will reduce the electric used a little bit, as our dryer is about 5000 years old.