Arduino/ATMega based Digital Soldering station

Think you've got a good idea? Share it with us and it might just end up on the show!
Jarod
Site Admin

Re: Arduino/ATMega based Digital Soldering station

Post by Jarod » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:18 pm

trisonic wrote: Have you ever read this project? http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/vi ... =56&t=2457
I have not actually, I searched all over the internet for people that had attempted similar things, found a few but nothing quite what I was going for.

I'll take a read thru and see if there is any improvements to be made, or things to be learned.
I hope to make a PCB layout for a standalone board and also I'd like to build shields for arduino and also I'm toying with the idea of trying to port this to MSP430 too.

Jarod
Site Admin

Post by Jarod » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Few updates on the progress.

I found what kind of connector these use. its a 5 pin XLR Mic plug.

I ordered myself a few chassis mount sockets from Futurlec at $.65 each.
As well as some power plugs ($.20 each)

I've also got a laminator on the way to make etching the pcb easier.

foxmiles

Post by foxmiles » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Been Playing with some code and made a much simpler hill climbing function. I don't know if it will be of any use to you, but try it if you like. It should be considered experimental, I tested it a little, but not a whole lot.

Code: Select all

#define IN_PIN A0 // define pins and save memory rather than have them as int's
#define OUT_PIN 11 // use pin 11 for fast pwm mode example below

int setting = 125;
int reading = 0;
int pwm = 0;

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
pinMode(OUT_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(IN_PIN, INPUT);
//Serial.begin(9600); // uncomment for serial readout
// See the atmega328p Datasheet for more information on the following:
  TCCR2A = _BV(COM2A1) | _BV(WGM20) | _BV(WGM21); // COM2A1 = Set output compare Bit (needed for pwm output), Set WGM20 & WGM21 Bits for Fast PWM Mode
  TCCR2B = _BV(CS20); //clock select CS20 is max speed, about 62khz w/fast pwm mode on a 16mhz arduino
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: 

/* //uncomment for serial readout
  Serial.println("Pwm Reading");
  Serial.print (pwm);
  Serial.print("    ");
  Serial.println (reading);
*/
  reading = analogRead(IN_PIN)/4;
  pwm = hillclimb(setting, reading, pwm);
//  analogWrite(OUT_PIN, pwm); // to use standard arduino pwm out (490hz)
  OCR2A = pwm; //to use fast pwm mode (use pin 11 only) (62khz)
//  delay(100); // slow things down a bit, eliminate or adjust this as you add code, serial likes it (basically for debugging)
}

// Simple hillclimbing function intended for pwm use. All inputs should be int's with values 0-255, output is adjusted value constrained to 0-255

int hillclimb(int s, int r, int o) // s=setting, r=reading, o=pwm (current value)...returns adjusted pwm value
{
  o = ((s - r)/4) + o; // this line does all the work adjust /4 lower for faster response / quicker swings (and lower stability)

// make sure result is within pwm range:
  if (o >= 256){
    o=255;
  }
  if (o <= 0){
    o = 0;
  }

return(o); 
}
It will require some modification for your usages.
Digging with a spoon will accomplish more than leaning on a shovel.

Jarod
Site Admin

Post by Jarod » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 pm

well this is odd. with the test etch you made i've soldered everything together nicely, checked and double checked the joints, everything looks good, no bridges that i can see.
the atmega makes an awful nice stovetop when connected to the isp header. gets blazingly hot! i'm going to go back over the solder joints and clean up everything super good, then retry it again, if i can still cook my breakfast on it then my schematic was probably wrong

foxmiles

Post by foxmiles » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:34 pm

that's not good. I'll look the schematic over later

er0ck

Post by er0ck » Sun May 19, 2013 2:09 am

Is this project dead?

dearangelo

Post by dearangelo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Hello, I have read thru this entire post and I would like to know what is the final outcome of the project, software and hardware wise. If I understand correctly, the project worked well while still on the bread board?
I have been on the lookout for something similar for a while now, here is one I attempted to build:

http://radiokot.ru/lab/controller/32/

very similar to the one you have posted on the early pages here, but I got stuck, there is only a hex file avail, and so I could not do any debugging.. anyways
what has become of this? can you share?
best regards
angelo

dearangelo

Post by dearangelo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Jarod wrote:
trisonic wrote: Have you ever read this project? http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/vi ... =56&t=2457
I have not actually, I searched all over the internet for people that had attempted similar things, found a few but nothing quite what I was going for.

I'll take a read thru and see if there is any improvements to be made, or things to be learned.
I hope to make a PCB layout for a standalone board and also I'd like to build shields for arduino and also I'm toying with the idea of trying to port this to MSP430 too.
there is a foundamental difference, this is an AC project, while the http://radiokot.ru/lab/controller/32/
is a DC project...

Jarod
Site Admin

Post by Jarod » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:10 am

dearangelo wrote:Hello, I have read thru this entire post and I would like to know what is the final outcome of the project, software and hardware wise. If I understand correctly, the project worked well while still on the bread board?
It worked decently well on the breadboard, had some issues with connections.

we etched a prototype board, which works fantastically, except for some odd bugs we have not yet worked out.
Something is latching and causing the temperature control to stop working and heat to the maximum possible temperature. not sure if its software bug or the mosfet or opamp giving us issues.

dearangelo wrote: I have been on the lookout for something similar for a while now, here is one I attempted to build:

http://radiokot.ru/lab/controller/32/

very similar to the one you have posted on the early pages here, but I got stuck, there is only a hex file avail, and so I could not do any debugging.. anyways
what has become of this? can you share?
Absolutely. this project was always intended to be freely available, we thought about building completed units and selling those or partially assembled or kits or something, but I firmly believe that Open source is how everything should be.

If you have the ambition to put it together yourself, you should always be able to do so. Thats why I run Linux.

I'll find the arduino files and kicad schematics/board designs.

Also, er0ck, I apoligize greatly for not noticing your post earlier. I have removed the approval restrictions on your account.

Tom

EDIT: I have attached the Kicad schematics, board designs, and arduino source. I'm not sure what kind of license I'd say its under. If you make money off my designs then I'd like a share, I would prefer you share any improvement with myself and everyone else though.

there is 3 designs enclosed.

solder - 2.brd is my first design, had some minor issues that caused problems.
solder.brd is my brothers updated design that we have a *mostly* working etch of.
soldermk2.brd is my brothers double sided design that would be used if we panelized and ordered a batch of pcbs professionally.
Attachments
TrythistvSolder.zip
State as of Sept 10 2013
(64.13 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

foxmiles

Post by foxmiles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:18 am

OK, I've been playing with the opamp circuit in ltspice and I'm thinking it may be the problem. I've got a alternative, but will need to breadboard it and see if it works. If it does it will require changes to the board, I think it could be retro-fitted, but I'd wait to etch boards until I've tested this out if possible. For testing input is a 1-13mv sine wave (80-600F k-type, if I figured it right). The 1K and 330K could also be 10K and 3.3M (according to ltspice). I used the universalopamp2, I don't know how well that compares to the one in the design (lm358n), I don't have one on hand for breadboard testing, so here's what I've got:
oldIAmp.jpg
Old inverting amp design (ltspice simulation)
IAmp.jpg
New inverting Amp design (ltspice simulation)
Inverting and non-inverting ltspice schematics, completely untested:
Solder-ltspice.zip
LTSpice schematics for thermocouple amp !!!!!UNTESTED!!!!!!
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 138 times