Home Server

Think you've got a good idea? Share it with us and it might just end up on the show!
foxmiles

Home Server

Post by foxmiles » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:25 pm

I've been building a mythtv box that is quickly expanding into a headless server (for the backend). Though it may continue full circle back to a single pc. Basically, I want to use a board I don't have a case for. I haven't run a local server in years but it may make a good subject.
I'm running Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, but there are better choices - check out : http://www.linuxmce.com/
everyone's needs will vary, mine are fairly light.

Mythtv Backend with a Tuner
Mythtv works quite well with an ATSC tuner, it can even get the EPG over the air. It can record multiple programs at the same time from a single tuner (they need to be on the same transport - i.e. 10.1 & 10.2) It supports multiple tuners, though I really don't need that. It does automatic commercial detection and will skip them automatically. It can transcode to put on dvds (not something I need), getting it to transcode to h.264 seems harder, but with that I could stream to my tablet (and the recording would take up less space). It can cut the commercials out when transcoding too, so that would be a further space savings. You can control the front end (player) from your android device over wifi with mythmote (that's the one I tried, several other apps are availible).

NAS - may as well use that storage!
Backups, central media storage, etc.

Misc:
Power saving stuff - wake-on-lan (NAS, any non-mythtv use), ACPI-wakeup (wakeup, record show, shutdown)
The home automation stuff is really cool, may try that someday.

I'm sure there were other things for a server to do, but I'm drawing a blank now.
Digging with a spoon will accomplish more than leaning on a shovel.

Jarod
Site Admin

Re: Home Server

Post by Jarod » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:03 pm

foxmiles wrote: NAS - may as well use that storage!
Backups, central media storage, etc.

Misc:
Power saving stuff - wake-on-lan (NAS, any non-mythtv use), ACPI-wakeup (wakeup, record show, shutdown)
The home automation stuff is really cool, may try that someday.

I run a small headless server in my basement that I use for Minecraft with a few friends, NAS and streaming videos to the Wii. no Tuner yet though.

I run it 24/7, no WOL or any real power saving features, my electric bill went up by maybe $1 per month. (No video card, just HDDs, RAM, CPU, onboard LAN)
I do think it would be nice to set up some power saving stuff, if nothing else merely for wear and tear on the machine.

Its currently been up for probably 2 months or more nonstop, had some fan related issues before that that required a reboot
I'm running a custom distro of linux with no X server, ssh, and some extra security features. only ports forwarded to the outside net is minecraft, and samba, minecraft and ssh is all that's open inside atm.

Technically comcast (my isp) says no dedicated server equipment for hosting anything. the key word is in bold. its not a dedicated server since its my backup and NAS box too. ;)

I've never set up WOL to be honest, that's something I need to give a go. I also should post a pic of how I've set up my "case" for the server.