DD-WRT: Usb Hard Drive as Network Attached Storage (NAS)

Watch and Discuss the latest show here
Jarod
Site Admin

Post by Jarod » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Our amazon store has all the hardware you'll need to do this: http://astore.amazon.com/trythisathome-20
Today we set up a USB hard drive as network attached storage.
You can use Samba or FTP, and EXT3, Fat, or NTFS filesystems as long as you have a "big" build of dd-wrt.

I've used this to stream music, video, and backup data for months now, its certainly a cheap way to have a networked drive!

foxmiles

Post by foxmiles » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:47 am

Seems I can't start a topic in video discussions and there isn't a discussion for this video yet. I think that is where this should be if it can be moved.

First Point
I thought I remembered comparing the speed of NTFS vs EXT3 on a dd-wrt router a long time ago, and that NTFS was much slower. I happen to have a buffalo router with a usb port, DD-WRT, and a 1tb drive that I just split into 3 partitions (1 large NTFS, 1 large EXT3, and 1 small EXT3 (for optware)). So I decided to compare the performance. I copied a 1GB video from my desktop (gigabit connection) to the NAS twice and from the NAS once. The 400mhz router cpu always maxed out at 100%. Here is what I found: (Minutes:seconds)
1. NTFS write 6:53
2. NTFS write 6:40
3. NTFS read 2:35

1. EXT3 write 1:27
2. EXT3 write 1:21
3. EXT3 read 1:31

I think the results speak for themselves. If at all possible avoid using NTFS.

Second Point - related to DD-WRT NAS, but not really the video (it's an interesting side point)
I have mounted 3 partitions on my router, though it only automatically mounts sda1. The big catch I ran into here is it only autoloads modules for sda1. My sda1 is NTFS. I have to insmod the following in order for the mount command to work (with a script that is called on boot and device plug-in) on an EXT3 partition:

mbcache
jbd
ext3

Basically, you can have multiple partitions, but it's much more complicated.
Digging with a spoon will accomplish more than leaning on a shovel.

Jarod
Site Admin

Re: DD-WRT: Usb Hard Drive as Network Attached Storage (NAS)

Post by Jarod » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:07 pm

foxmiles wrote:Seems I can't start a topic in video discussions and there isn't a discussion for this video yet. I think that is where this should be if it can be moved.
Yea, I decided to put discussion inline with the videos, link the topic on the forum in the description of the video on youtube. I changed permissions to reflect this, and forgot to remove the discussion forum... oops
foxmiles wrote:I think the results speak for themselves. If at all possible avoid using NTFS.

I have mounted 3 partitions on my router, though it only automatically mounts sda1. The big catch I ran into here is it only autoloads modules for sda1. My sda1 is NTFS. Basically, you can have multiple partitions, but it's much more complicated.
Yea, NTFS is terribly slow, ideally ext3, or even fat is significantly less stressful on the routers cpu, which makes it much quicker to copy and thus stream.

I had issues at times with multiple partitions, never understood it, I've got optware on my router, so that handles everything you'd ever need in a million years. I'm going to do a video of how to install optware and use it, but thats a very complicated video and probably won't get done until after we've moved.

Paul Ryan

Post by Paul Ryan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:32 pm

I followed your video on setting up the drive. However, even after quite sometime the drive is not appearing in my network. What possibly might I be doing wrong? I enabled the NAS Samba, Named server string to R7000, and named it WORKGROUP. The file share is set to /mnt/sda1, named the drive external. (the drive is not a partitioned drive) and I am using Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31520M kongac (03/01/17).

Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

--- /dev/sda1
Block device, size 931.5 GiB (1000202043392 bytes)
Windows BOOTMGR boot loader
NTFS file system
UUID 98FE29BFFE299692
Volume size 931.5 GiB (1000202042880 bytes, 1953519615 sectors)
/dev/sda1 mounted to /tmp/mnt/sda1

Jarod
Site Admin

Post by Jarod » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:33 am

If you open a file manager and type \\(router's ip address) and hit enter does it show the file shares?
(use smb://(router's ip address) on a linux machine)